Before we get into how to ride a penny board, let’s see what a penny board is actually. Penny board is a small board as compared to a regular skateboard and invented by an Australian company. Penny is actual their trademark. Nowadays, it’s available everywhere, and people love to ride on it.
The material is excellent, a plastic fiber that is quite flexible and challenging for jumping tricks, etc.
How to ride a Penny board for beginners
Driving a penny board is fun for lovers of speed and spectacular stunts. Beginners should know the weight limit of the penny board first
Then once you about the allowed weight, then you must start learning how to put feet correctly on the deck, be able to stop in time, gain and adjust speed. For this, it is crucial to identify the leading leg.
- First, you need to stand with two legs on the board and stand still, trying to maintain balance;
- To start the movement, you need to push with one leg (the supporting leg is located with the toe forward between the pair of front wheels and the center of the board)
- Do not think about the pushing foot – the body itself will tell you how to proceed.
- you can change the legs from front to back so that none of them get tired
- Once you get hold of it, the next goal is to gain speed and cover more distance without pushing with your foot (the design of a penny board is ideal for such a ride)
- Once you are accelerated, the second leg should be carefully attached to the board, while place your feet parallel to each other and should be at an angle of 45 degrees in the direction of movement.
- Extend your supporting leg (the one that was standing on the board) for further stability. It would help if you extended the supporting leg. For additional overclocking, you should raise the supporting leg with the toe towards the ride.
- If necessary, you must transfer the weight to your supporting leg and tilt the board’s plane in the rotation direction.
- It is essential to slow down before turning to maintain balance.
On tight turns, the penny board is more stable and helps keep balance – this position is recommended for beginners. To master the skateboarding skills, you can loosen the bolt attachment, which will allow you to make maneuvers with a relaxed posture.
When you get used to it, then you can easily do many tricks.
Penny board Training Steps
The first riding lessons should be done on flat ground – in a park, in a stadium with asphalt pavement or large tiles. Another great way is to use subtle downhill ways – using natural trails that will help you enjoy effortless speed.
Those who have learned to roll on the penny board want to try out different tricks. There are several basic tricks you can perform. Among them are Hopping curbs, Hippie Jump, and Shove it. All tricks done on pennies can be done on skateboards (and vice versa). Professionals don’t this as a difficulty, but they need to hone their skills for over a month.
Before riding on your skateboard, you have to get on it perfectly. And there is more than one way to do this. The different methods listed below are not “real” tricks, but all the same: some are not beginner-friendly and must be procced with caution.
The “normal” way
The penny board is standstill, the skateboarder stand next to it. The front foot climbs onto the board in line with the board. Push with your back foot and position it on the rail once moved.
Running behind your board.
With the board flat and straight in front of you, the skater pushes it with the foot strong enough (the foot pushes the tailor better pushes it flat in the center of the board) and runs after it for 2-3 running steps. Then, you have to jump on it, aim well and tackle your feet in the right direction, so they land precisely where you want them to be. It allows you to gain speed with safety, this technique is used to gain speed in an area speed is somewhat difficult to achieve.
Get on your board while running.
Board in hand firmly held at the nose’s level, the skateboarder runs with the skateboard next to him. The tail rubs on the ground. As soon as the hand lets go of the board, the rider places the four wheels on the floor. At this point, the skateboarder jumps onto his board, aiming for the tail with the back foot and the screws for the front foot.
it is not difficult and this technique allows you to gain a lot of speed but requires good aim. Ideally, the feet should land on the board before the board hits the ground.
The front hand still holds the nose but gives a little kick to the side when letting go. When falling, the board will bounce on the ground on the two raised sides, and if the wrist stroke were useful, it would do a half-flip to get back in the right direction (the wheels against the ground). The hard part is done; jump on it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it hard to ride a penny board?
Not hard. However, pennies are shorter in length, due to which riders should be vigilant all the time to balance, but everything needs practice that how you can make penny board ride easily.
How to stop on penny boards?
Practicing your stop on the penny board is crucial as it might save you from any disaster. Just use your foot drag by placing it along the ground while balancing yourself on the penny board. It will seem challenging but, with time, easy to do.
How to do tricks on penny boards?
Most of the riders love to do tricks, especially on a penny board designed to do so. One can quickly learn these tricks on the penny board with practice.
How to make the penny board turn easier?
For that, you need to know your balance on the penny board. When doing a turn, first slow down the penny with your foot and then tilt the body to turn more comfortably while maintaining balance. It will shift the weight and make it relatively easy to turn.
Is a penny board or nickel board are better for beginners?
Well, that depends on you, but generally speaking, the penny board is a few inches shorter than the Nickel board. So it’s comparatively easy to balance on Nickle boards that make it a better choice for a beginner.